Thursday, January 08, 2004

Here at work, I think it's more considerate (and easier) to listen to my music using headphones. My Gateway makes a better CD player than my beat-up old Optimus boombox, anyway. The thing about that is that I often discover new nuances in music I wouldn't otherwise hear, 'cause I'm using headphones. To wit: sit down with a pair of headphones and a copy of Steely Dan's "Peg." And concentrate on the bassline - through the entire song, but especially in the chorus. Gotdamn, that's funky! As an added bonus for Mr. Crankypants, "Peg" also features backing vocals from Michael McDonald.

Unsurprisingly, anything by Underworld opens up and sounds even more astonishing through headphones, especially '96's "Born Slippy (NUXX)." I promise it won't give you a " new tension headache."

Meanwhile, you may not notice anything new listening to "I Can't Go For That" by Hall & Oates on headphones - but it's just so rich, such a sexy-soulful-machine-music record (and, apart from the harmony vocals, surprisingly stripped-down; play with this one with an equalizer and see what I mean) that it sounds perhaps even warmer in said setting. Diss John all you want, but there's no arguing that his harmony vocals blend perfectly with Daryl's leads.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?