Tuesday, July 30, 2002

damn, I'm tired! just back from the b's/blondie show (and a stop for taco bell) at midnight. thoughts and observations:

1) it was really fucking hot. as of 11pm, it was 84 degrees, heat index 92. that's the coolest it's been all day. we sweltered.

2) the b's surprised me; they were much better live than I expected. the music was a lot punchier. and keith strickland (guitar) is hotter now than he was in their heyday: aging suits him; he looks more like a man now than an overgrown boy. fred, cindy and kate are same as it ever was. they opened with "whammy kiss," which thrilled me, but I missed "girl from ipanema goes to greenland." and who knew "is that you mo-dean?" had become such a live favorite? the finale, of course, was an ever-so-slightly overcooked "rock lobster."

3) blondie were a bit disappointing, largely due to the fact that debbie harry's "too cool for school" act cuts both ways. it gives her a healthy veneer of rock goddess-ness, sure, but also can be a bit offputting, a little too "I'm not really here for you, kids; I'm doing this for ME." unfortunately, that's largely how debbie came across tonight. like the applause and screams were interrupting her. and starting with two new (recent) songs, when, let's face it, 95% of the crowd is there for the '78-'81 years, is offputting as well. debbie didn't really seem involved until the encore, which consisted of (no surprises) "rapture" (excellent) and "heart of glass" (solid, with fine audience participation). at least they did "hangin' on the telephone."

and, hey, my roomie michael paid for my ticket, so I really can't complain too damn much. :)

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?