Tuesday, August 06, 2002

back at work, finally got some good sleep last night, and time to blog.

herewith, the usher method of bowling.
when bowling, especially in competition, it's important not to overthink things. after a while, muscle memory should take you through your stance, approach, and release. accordingly, I try to clear my head of bowling (not obsessing over a badly thrown ball or a missed spare, f'instance) when I'm on the lane. for some bizarre reason which even I can't explain, what -- well, let me back up a minute. it's not bizarre (c'mon, have you been reading?) that I'd do so by singing songs in my head. music is who I am. what is perhaps a bit bizarre is the song that seems to do the trick: usher's "u don't have to call." not only is it one of the best pop singles of '02, I know most all of the lyrics, so I can concentrate on those instead of overthinking my bowling. to make things even weirder, I tend to do (sparingly, and hopefully discreetly) bad white-boy approximations of usher's dance moves from the video. [I did not get the 'rhythm' portion of the "gay gene."] these help keep me loosened up. and no, I don't do them on the approach, but while I'm waiting to throw my next ball. I'll tell you what: I can't argue with a 148 and 166. so I'm gonna (try to) keep doing it as much as I can without being entirely obnoxious to my teammates. "don't leave your girl 'round me, true playa for real, that's my n---- for real, uh..."

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?