Thursday, September 12, 2002

I didn't blog yesterday because I wasn't sure what I wanted to say about 9/11. fortunately, my cousin-in-law carolee sent out a beautifully eloquent email which sums things up very well. she and her husband (my cousin) steve live in washington, dc.
-----
Friends & Family,

The weather is just as picture perfect today as it was last September 11th,
though a bit windier. Steve is reporting from the Pentagon, same as last
year. I am on [our street], same as last year.

Last year, the city became as quiet as it's been in hundreds of years. No
traffic, no kids, no dogs, no sirens, no airplanes or helicopters. I don't
even think the crickets were chirping. I walked down the street last year,
and the only sound I remember hearing was the occasional tv anchorman or
radio reporter's voice seeping through a house or car window.

This year, it is quiet, but the wind is rustling the tree leaves, the street
sweeper went by, and the swoosh of fighter jets overhead is non-stop.
Military helicopters buzz the house. Someone just honked a car horn.

As many of you know, our masonry crew was on the roof of the Pentagon when
the plane hit last year. They lost one colleague. I didn't expect them to
work today, but they all arrived at 7:30 a.m. and have been working hard ever
since. They've been listening to memorial services on the radio while they
work. Most everyone around here is doing their usual thing. Some of my
neighbors have expressed my sentiment that we don't want additional reminders
of today's anniversary: the constant drone of the fighter jets above, the
extra security at every office building, and the construction cranes around
the Pentagon are reminder enough.

Our NPR affiliate is playing Bach's "Joy of Man's Desire" as part of it's
anniversary programming. At the same time, the wind is rustling the tree
leaves hard. I can't think of anything I'd rather hear right now.

Love, Carolee

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?