Wednesday, October 16, 2002

well, shit, after the praise I received today from the minor fall, the major lift, I feel like I've got something to live up to now. damn. [seriously, though, I'm flattered.]

went with a bunch of folks last night to see sweet home alabama, a/k/a reese witherspoon's "anything julia can do, I can do cuter" flick. now, I think there's no denying that witherspoon is a) very cute, b) has that same kind of radiant screen presence as ms. roberts, and c) a talented actress (though I'm eager to see her do drama - and no, cruel intentions, for its merits, really doesn't count). but I left the theatre as I entered it, with mixed emotions. the script was structured very nicely, with some pulled punches and surprises you actually don't see coming. most of the performances (notably ethan embry's, along with witherspoon's) were solid. candice bergman, however, simply played an overly shrill version of murphy brown; she was supposed to be a total bitch, and she was, and I hated it. and even if witherspoon's character later apologizes for her nasty remarks, the south - and rural america in the process - was completely characterized as a bunch of loveable dumb-ass hicks. having grown up on a farm in rural northern indiana, I resent that quite. a. bit. I live in a metropolitan area of over one million people now, but would rather live back on the farm (or at least in a small town) than in new york city. so the script, while trying to gloss over its misdeeds, really comes off as a bit nasty. and patrick dempsey, while a fair actor, was required to do nothing other than look vacuous - which he did with great aplomb. I'd probably give sweet home alabama a b- or so. wait to see it on starz! next summer.

and one other thing: of all the people to cover skynyrd's title song, the producers picked fucking jewel?!

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?