Tuesday, November 12, 2002

I'm not sure I buy jay-z's argument that his lyrical feud with nas helped nasir jones:
"I think it helped the guy out; I think he made better music."
sounds a bit too much like jay's ego-stroking again (him? never!). on the other hand, nas' last couple of records seem to have had an urgency missing from his late-'90s work. and I'll certainly take "one mic" over fucking "oochie wally" anyday. his forthcoming album is quite portentiously titled god's son (er, wouldn't that be jesus?), but its first single, "made you look," is smashing. it opens with a gunshot, a pounding, treble'd up snare track, and a string section sampled from an italian gangster flick. it's totally nyc, totally nas, and "you a slave to a page in [his] rhyme book." well, yeah. driving and propulsive like jay-z and biggie in '95 - yeah, it's that good.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?