Thursday, November 28, 2002

so between all the d'n'b/ukg I've been absorbing and this mix cd I'm working on for paul (he won a trivia contest I'm doing in conjunction with waking ear), I'm back in what I call a "rhythm 'n beats" mode. there has been a lot of great rhythmic music released this year - and I guess that by that I mean dance-based, across the spectrum: r-and-b, hip-hop, house, the aforementioned genres, lots of boots, various strains of techno, et.al. it reminds me of a series of mixes (10 volumes) I made across '97 and '98 titled "it's alright - I feel it!" (which, come to think of it, I should really post at art of the mix). the first volume does a good job of synthesizing the feel of what I was going for, and the feel of the series: it runs across blaze remixing ann nesby, mc lyte, jamiroquai, dj kool, quincy jones, biggie, and madonna, amongst others, covering the (warning: pretentious word ahead) diaspora of rhythmic music, as far as I'm concerned.

what's tweaking my ear in those regards these days? so, so much. f'instance:
+there's a great l.t.j bukem track I discovered, "rhodes to freedom" (just what you'd hope for/fear), which is magnificent in its mastery of d'n'b soaked in jazz/funk.
+I've had to revise my initial opinion on tlc's "girls talk" - it's a tougher track than I originally thought, and has tougher lyrics too (and an actual good austin powers joke). and don't you dare call it man-bashing; it's simply a primer for men on, well, girl talk. the song's best feature remains left eye's rap, however. and the video's fairly crap.
+does anyone else remember the great camp lo? like digable planets with teeth, and funky for days. "luchini" was their moneyshot, their masterstroke, and their one and only hit. but what a hit it was.
+"two months off" by underworld made a re-appearance on "the hitlist" last week, in part due to go home productions' irresistable "2months in a disco" bootleg. but it made it back on its own merits, which are deep and wide, as well. "two months" is their best release since "born slippy," a thundering powerhouse of a tech-house track.

and if I may be so bold, I think this under-construction mix may be a corker. you'll know when it's complete...

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?