Tuesday, December 24, 2002

#1 previously released song I only discovered in 2002: "I feel love (masters at work remix)," donna summer
there's probably no song I listened to more in 2002 than this one, and every single time I listened for its pure joy. masters at work did this rerub back in '95, but it's utterly timeless. summer's almost-30-year-old single is stripped and rebuilt from the ground up, all centering around her stunning vocal performance (something moroder apparently forgot about, so enamored was he of his own [admittedly pop-revolutionary] sonics). kenny and louie concentrate, of course, on the keys; every one of their greatest tracks (whether remixes for others or their own productions) is based on classic house piano riffs, and this is certainly no exception. frequently they drop almost everything else out, just to spotlight the eerie, warm cooing of summer. this doesn't build to a thundering climax; that's not their style. they keep the track slow-burning on and on (over 11:00), simmering just shy of boiling over. I never knew just how tender summer sounds singing "I got you, I got you, I got you" until this remix entered my life. she wasn't just moroder's robot queen, all ice and artifice - there's a lot of emotion buried in his tracks, and maw took it upon themselves to excavate it in glorious fashion. sing hallelujah!

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?