Monday, December 23, 2002

6. "a stroke of genius," freelance hellraiser
by many accounts, this is the record which brought the bootleg phenomenon to spontaneous combustion, and rightfully so. to me, the whole key to a great bootleg is that it completely recontextualizes both songs involved, and none does so more than "genius." when I hear "genie in a bottle" now, I expect to hear the strokes backing xtina up. in the 6th freaky trigger pop music focus group, I suggested that aguilera + strokes - julian = blondie II: electric boogaloo. I still stand by that, especially in light of her new stripped full-length. when I played this for a friend recently, he didn't know what song ("bottle") the vocals were from, until the chorus kicked in - that's how much this boot discombobulated him. a stroke of genius is fucking right.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?