Monday, December 16, 2002

backpedal as fast as you can, trent. does this sound like a man feeling certain of his future, political or otherwise?

meanwhile, with gore pulling out of the 2004 presidential race, where does this leave the democratic party? usa today's susan page weighs in. as does cooped-up.

personally, I think the dems are now, officially, a party without a paddle, or something. say what you will about gore, but he actually (in these last couple of months, at least) stuck his neck out and spoke his mind, ignoring the pollsters and pundits (healthcare, anyone?). daschle and gephardt are ass-kissers, not much more or less. lieberman is thisclose to being a republican, anyway, and loathes free speech if he doesn't like it. very scary. edwards is too untested; he's serving his first term in elected office. something about kerry rubs me the wrong way, and I can't put my finger on it. as this point, I like former vermont governor howard dean, though I haven't heard enough of his policy views to know for certain - I do know that he put his ass on the line to support civil unions for gays, which speaks rather loudly (to me, at least). as susan page says, he has almost a bruce babbitt quality to him (had I not been 17 at the time, I would've voted for babbitt in '88). bush can be defeated, I know that. if he will or not is another matter entirely. I hope sen. clinton runs in '08...

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?