Sunday, December 29, 2002

the line "I smoke like the hippies did back in the '70s," from styles' "good times," is a marvelous hip-hop error up there in the hall of fame with run-d.m.c.'s "there's three of us but we're not the beatles." it's funny. it also just so happens that (and yes, I recognize that I'm the last person to realize this) "good times" is a motherfucker of a single. styles might just be as good a lyricist (or at least rhyme-flipper) as his cohort jadakiss, and the "I get high" sample he uses isn't quite what it appears to be. the full line is actually "I get high off your memory," giving the track an almost sad, nostalgic quality. plus, the track itself has a bouncy, spongy quality to it, like an india rubber ball or sponge cake, moist and chewy. and to think that none of this hit me until I saw styles performing on bet's 106th and park this weekend. *doh!*

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?