Monday, February 17, 2003

regular long-time readers already know of the love I have for she-who-would-be-kylie, sophie ellis-bextor. “music gets the best of me” was my #20 single of ’02, with “murder on the dancefloor” barely missing the cut (would’ve been #51, actually, bumped at the last minute in favor of keith urban). but I recently discovered a sophie track – kind of, follow me – even more glorious. it’s an extreme cutup of “dancefloor” by aussie booties-and-mash artiste dsico titled “murdered murder,” and should be read as the template for nasty cutups. likely done with software (though I’d like to imagine dsico mixmastering soph on multiple turntables, however unlikely), this is an utterly brilliant exercise in deconstruction. the key, in some ways, is that it’s not compressed nor extended; “murdered” is nearly the exact same length as its parent, only taken through a mixing board equipped with a cuisinart attachment. best bit: at the end of the second chorus, where everything but a handclap snare is dropped out, leaving about 2 seconds sounding identical to the very opening of whitney’s “I wanna dance with somebody.” download it here.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?