Tuesday, February 11, 2003

well, I guess I have to blog the actual oscar nods, now that tmftml wrote me up as apparently some sort of quasi-guru on the subject... (seriously, thanks). and yes, the fat man is laughing heartily - that would be miramax's harvey weinstein, who released the two biggest nominees, chicago (with 12) and gangs of new york (10). I must confess to a bit of momentary smugness over the fact that I nailed 26 of the 30 nominees in the big 6 categories (picture, director, and the actors). but there were some surprises...

+no richard gere in best actor - both nic cage and michael caine made the cut. I'm really surprised, but not as much as I am about...
+no dennis quaid in supporting actor?! he was widely considered to be chris cooper's only serious competition, and yet he somehow didn't even make the final five. I guess it's only okay to play a gay man if you're dying (ed harris this year, tom hanks in philadelphia, bruce davison in longtime companion, et.al.). yes, I've got my tongue in cheek. kinda.
+pedro almodovar slipped into best director for the second time, knocking peter jackson out in the process. yay! again proving that the nominees for picture and director are never allowed to match up.
+the others are relatively minor: no streep in actress (but she's still the frontrunner in supporting) - lane and hayek both got nommed; no about schmidt in screenplay?! (total noms: one); no "die another day" in best original song (but eminem, say hello to oscar! well, a nomination, anyway. here's hoping he performs - won't that be a hoot? everyone else can go home - unless the chicago sweep is complete, u2've got this one in the bag, for one of their weakest efforts of the last decade. ain't that how it always is?); 2-count-'em-2! foreign language screenplays nommed (y tu mama tambien and talk to her, double yay!).

my personal preferences (of those nominated): chicago, roman polanski, nicholson, julianne moore (lead), john c. reilly, zeta-jones, chicago (adapted), far from heaven (original), "lose yourself."

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?