Saturday, March 15, 2003

I want the Kronos Quartet's 25 Years boxed set SO FUCKING BADLY. Any regular reader out there have an extra $100 lying around? [If you're looking for something more affordable, there's always Kronos Quartet Released 1985-1995.] They've been to classical music (and particularly string quartets, always my favorite ensemble in the genre) for a quarter-century as Nickel Creek are now to bluegrass: constantly pushing the form, writing their own rulebook, committing all sorts of blissful, gorgeous transgressions. Kronos are utterly, completely brilliant, and nearly single-handedly interested me in classical music (have you heard Arvo Part's Litany? Oh, my God, indeed), those geniuses. [For those wondering, what reeled me in was their '96 Howl, U.S.A.]

Addendum: Here's the Kronos website - bold, blocky type is very cool.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?