Friday, March 28, 2003

My first-round brackets were largely trashed; I went 19-13. But going into last night's games, I still had all of my Elite Eight and Final Four teams in (that's no longer the case, after Pittsburgh lost 77-74 to Marquette). And even though I have Oklahoma in the Elite Eight (losing to Syrcause in the Orangemen's back yard), you've gotta know that tonight I will be cheering loudly for Indiana's own Butler Bulldogs! Pat Forde lays it on a little thick in his piece comparing Butler to the mythical Hickory Huskers of Hoosiers (based on the '54 Milan High School team), but I love the last two lines of his feature:

The Bulldogs' Jimmy Chitwood, Darnell Archey, thought about the comparison for a minute, then nodded.

"We'll take it," he said. "We'll be Milan."


And this, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect encapsulation of why March Madness, the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament, is the greatest sporting event there is, year after year.

Addendum: as much as I love Andy Katz, there's no excuse for his sloppy analysis in his East regional preview. Answering the 'question' "Why Butler will win" with "Why not?" is just plain lazy.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?