Friday, March 28, 2003

Thanks to Mikesosoft for linking this: it's a directory of blogs and diaries from journalists "embedded" with US armed forces in and around Iraq. Many of them are completely fascinating reading - and from a very different angle from many of the talking heads on television news.

My cousin Steve is reporting for NPR (National Public Radio) from Doha, Qatar. Here's a link to his report this morning on NPR's Morning Edition. Steve amazes me; he's such a well-rounded, superb journalist, and seems to handle stuff like this reportage (and that he did from Afghanistan in 2001) so smoothly. He's been sending almost daily emails to his wife from Doha, which she then forwards much of to family members. I'm not posting them here - I don't have permission, and that's not my place - but I can assure you that Steve's missives are eye-opening, providing an unheard perspective with rich detail.

I was supposed to meet up with Steve and his wife last October when I was in D.C. for a bowling tournament; due to timing and schedules, I was unable to, and I regret it. My family's an interesting one - my Dad's the fifth of seven brothers, all of whom are still married (to their first and only wives), and I have 17 first cousins on Dad's side. Most of us (cousins, I mean) aren't particularly close, and there's a wide age gap between the youngest, my baby sis (who's 22), and the oldest (who's in his mid-40s). I'm about in the middle of the age range. Six of the seven brothers (my father included) still live in their home state of Indiana, and I miss our family reunions (I haven't made it to one in 4 years or so). But as it happens, I'm the closest, geographically speaking, to Steve, so hopefully once this bloody war ends and he gets home, sometime (this summer?) I'll make it up to D.C. to see him and his wife.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?