Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I'm late, I'm straight, if you're not used to it I suppose we can make some sort of reasonable compromise. Yeah, it's the man they call Nate Detritus, staggering into the party in an ugly Mazda RX-7 t-shirt and two days' growth of stubble all ready to act a fool. Rum and coke time, bwoy! Birthday ish! I'm gonna get my cake on. You'd probably think that what with my reputation and all I'd go into some batshit ramble about how '70s disco is the more subversive than '90s punk (no slight to those fun folx in Rancid) or maybe post a picture of a bizarre pseudo-space-age Italian sports car. Sadly, I'm a bit tapped out on that sort of insight, or most any sort of insight at all. Instead, I will simply say this -- short, enthusiastic and to the point:

Whether via filesharing, used record store rummaging, prohibitively expensive eBay auctions or one of those Keb Darge Rare Funk compilations, YOU MUST GET ONYX*'S "BREAK IT LOOSE (PART II)" IMMEDIATELY. I'd describe it, go into loving and rapturous detail about how down-dirty and astounding it sounds, but that'd be ruining the impact and spoiling things. So I'll leave the whole revelatory brane-explodin' up to your own ears.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled pop.

*no, not the "SLAM! DUH DUH NUH!" Onyx. Some other one. From 1978.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?