Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Random thoughts on my top 99 of July 29, 2003, part 785(a)

I often think that if 50 Cent hadn't come around to revolutionize hip hop, that void would be filled by a Javanese gamelan orchestra. After all, what is Cilacap if not the new Seattle?

*!*

When it comes to pure diva pop, it just doesn't get any better than Justin Timberlake. Mya, Beyoncé, Ashanti, hell even tourmate Christina are all put to shame by that little southern boy's beautiful falsetto. His lilting tones rock my world, then calm it down, just to rock it all over again. Go on witchyourbadself!

*~*

Kelis is the new Li'l Brat. I dare you to name anything aside from "I Hate You So Much Right Now" that she's put out. Nope, she's one of those "f" gals. Like Jane's Addiction (f/Kelis), Postal Service (f/Kelis), or Luciano Pavarotti (f/Kelis).

*%*

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the new "it" girl in pop music will be Trista from the Bachelorette. Word on the street is Elektra and Madonna's Maverick are in a bidding war over her demo--produced by the team that brought you Hansen and Total. Through my connections at Maverick (Hi Michelle B! Love that new single--kisses!) I've already heard most of her demo. The breakout track is "I'm Not Your Ho (Take Me Out of This Shed)." It's a little bit sluttified Jewel, a little bit pre-beer-gut Trisha Yearwood, and a whole lot of "Sugar Walls" era Sheena Easton. Who knew that someone so bland could make music so good? Aside from Avril Lavigne that is?

*@*

I'll admit it, I was wrong. Courtney Love is a no talent slag. Just like every other woman in rock, she's ridden on the coat tails of men. And obviously she killed Kurt and caused the break-up of the Pumpkins. In fact, in the future, we can pinpoint the breakdown of all American music to "Doll Parts."

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?