Monday, September 08, 2003

I find Indiana Governor Frank O'Bannon's apparent cerebral hemorrhage incredibly disturbing news - not only for the obvious surface reasons, but because as a native Hoosier, I voted for O'Bannon gladly in 1996 (and would have in 2000, had I not already moved to Virginia by then). I think he's done a fine job as governor of my home state, just as he did for the eight years prior as Lieutenant Governor under (now-Senator) Evan Bayh. I also find it awfully ironic that this story on the hits he's currently taking over property teax reassessment (a huge issue in Indiana) ran on the Indiana Associated Press wire this morning. And now, current Lt. Gov. Joe Kernan, who announced last December that he wouldn't run for Governor in '04, is acting governor. Isn't that just a little bit ironic? I think very highly of Kernan, a superb former Mayor of South Bend, who's always been a big supporter of small family farmers, amongst many others. For those interested in more on the story - especially how power is (possibly) transfered to a new governor - the Indianapolis Star has more coverage here and here. [Props to Daily Kos for mentioning the news, too.]

Update: The governor's out of surgery.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?