Monday, September 22, 2003

"We still haven't been renewed, so this feels wonderful," producer Jerry Bruckheimer said backstage. "Are you watching, CBS?"

Bruckheimer on the surprise Emmy win by The Amazing Race in the new reality/competition program category last night - one of the few awards which Emmy voters got right. I mean, tired old West Wing winning best drama for a fourth consecutive year? All the trophies showered on Everybody Loves Raymond? Who, tell me, loves Raymond? [ELR = The Cosby Show x The Honeymooners - humor.] Even though I think Will & Grace is largely unwatchable (I hear it's bouncing back a bit, so I may give it another try this season), I was glad to see that Debra Messing finally won (all 4 leads have now one at least one Emmy for their work on the show) - and for those needing a reminder how good the series used to be, its first season is now out on DVD. The wins by The Daily Show with Jon Stewart were certainly much-deserved. And as far as I'm concerned, that was about it. [Don't even get me started on the lack of nods for Buffy and Angel, the Showtime pic Soldier's Girl, and the seeming refusal by the Academy to reward Six Feet Under for anything.]

The show itself, however, was snooze-ville. Shandling was kind of funny, if awfully shambling, and Ellen and Jon Stewart were great. But I shut the set off mid-broadcast, I was so bored. The Emmys are unquestionably the least interesting of the four major awards shows (Oscars, Grammys, and Tonys being the other three), and this year was no exception.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?