Thursday, November 20, 2003

Adorable Joe posted a wonderful piece this week about loose family ties, and one of the comments posted really made me think. Most all of us want our family members to have and do the best, and have trouble realizing we can't control them - not "control," per sé, but that once they become adults, there's so little we can do. I feel this acutely, being not only the oldest child, but the only male of four kids. So not only am I the big brother, but to three younger sisters; I've always been a bit overprotective of my siblings (and Mom), but especially with my baby sister, Sarah. Sarah's 23, and graduated from Purdue a year ago with a Bachelor's in literature, which gladdens me, as I majored in lit in college, as well. She takes after her big brother in many ways - some good, some not, please no clever remarks from the peanut gallery on this - and often makes me proud. But right now, I feel she's making some very foolish choices. And yes, I understand that making foolish choices is part of being young - heaven knows I made my share - but it's still tough to see someone you love and care about so much doing things which you know will be ultimately harmful to that person, and having no way to prevent what's coming. But I guess that comes with the territory of being an overprotective big brother, huh?

The good news is that I get to see her for the first time in 2 years next month, as I'm heading back to Indiana for Christmas. Yay, queen!

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?