Saturday, November 15, 2003

I'd been thinking, since I found out that I'll be a Pazz & Jop voter, that I'd simplify things and just do a top 10 singles/albums this year. But after hearing from my left-hand man that he'd really like to see me do my usual year-end Top 50 (like I did last year), I've decided, why mess with a good thing? So a Top 50 singles/tracks it shall be (though I'll likely only do a top 10 albums, which I didn't even do last year). My current (and ever-changing) "best of 2003" playlist is now up to 203 tracks, though it still includes a couple mixes and a couple older tracks which, while they won't be in my '03 list, will make my end-of-year 700MB extravaganza of a CD. It currently includes 7 tracks apiece by Basement Jaxx, Britney, Bubba Sparxx, Erykah Badu (and all of those from a 10-track EP!), and Richard X, and 6 apiece from Mandy Moore and Dizzee Rascal (rookie of the year, hands down). Current serious contenders for my top 10 singles, in no order:

Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z, "Crazy In Love"
Basement Jaxx, "Lucky Star" featuring Dizzee Rascal and "Good Luck" featuring Lisa Kekaula
Johnny Cash, "Hurt"
Justin Timberlake, "Rock Your Body"
Electric Six, "Dance Commander"
50 Cent, "In Da Club" and "21 Questions" featuring Nate Dogg
t.A.T.u., "All the Things She Said"
Postal Service, "Clark Gable"
Soilwork, "Overload"
Britney Spears, "Toxic" and "Me Against the Music" featuring Madonna
Richard X vs Kelis, "Finest Dreams"
R. Kelly, "Ignition Remix"
Panjabi MC, "Mundian To Bach Ke (Beware of the Boys)"
Freeway featuring Jay-Z and Beanie Siegel, "What We Do..."
Jay-Z featuring Pharrell, "Excuse Me Miss"
Dizzee Rascal, "Fix Up Look Sharp"
Floetry, "Say Yes"

That's only 20, so provided nothing else slips in, this shouldn't be too hard. That Floetry single, by the way, is a real late-breaker; even though it's been out since summer (or did it come out in the spring on only start impacting in the summer?), it's only just started to hit me, hard. Quite possibly the downright sexiest single of '03.

My #1 album is still, without question, the Jaxx's Kish Kash. By furlongs - nothing else comes close. Can't wait, however, to see how high Dizzee places in P&J as an import (Boy In Da Corner comes out in the U.S. in January on Matador); if he ends up above #10, he'll go down as the highest-charting import ever.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?