Monday, November 17, 2003

Since apparently I never have enough irons in my music-geek fire, I decided tonight to take my "best singles of each year of my life" project to its logical conclusion: a 700MB disc of death. [It's actually 607MB, but who's counting?] I added on songs from 1970, plus a few others:

1970: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," Diana Ross
runner-up: "One Less Bell To Answer," the Fifth Dimension
runner-up: "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine (Part 1)," James Brown
runner-up: "Sunday Morning Coming Down," Johnny Cash

1980: "He Stopped Loving Her Today," George Jones*
runner-up: "Love Will Tear Us Apart," Joy Division*
runner-up: "Let's Get Serious," Jermaine Jackson**

1981:
runner-up: "What Cha' Gonna Do For Me," Chaka Khan**

1982:
runner-up: "Why (12" Mix)," Carly Simon**

1984:
runner-up: "Let The Music Play," Shannon**

1987:
runner-up: "Sweet Love," Anita Baker***

1998:
runner-up: "The Boy Is Mine," Brandy and Monica**

1999:
runner-up: "No Sex," Chris Rock****

2003: "Crazy In Love," Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z*****
2003: "Lucky Star," Basement Jaxx featuring Dizzee Rascal*****

*Switched the order here. No matter how great Joy Division's (arguably) defining moment, it can't top the greatest country single ever recorded.
**Newly added as the last runner-up of its respective year.
***Newly added as third runner-up of 1987.
****Newly added as second runner-up of 1999.
*****Far and away ahead of all other singles this year, this pair will be my top two of '03; I'm just not certain in which order.

Wanna trade? Get in touch. [Your copy's going in the mail Tuesday.]

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?