Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Odds & ends:

Unlike Jerry, I rather liked Jordy's 1992 single "Dur Dur d'être Bébé!" I found it cute, and frankly, hilarious, to hear this 4-year-old French kid singing and, even better, rapping. And it actually made it up to #58 on the Billboard Hot 100, which is downright bizarre. What I don't understand, however, is why anyone would pay $22 for his long out of print debut album. $22?!

I know, I promised my take on Tracks by now. [I'm writing it for Rockcritics Daily.] It's coming, I promise. And I can tell you right now that the verdict's not particularly good.

Ha. One down, three (Clarkson, Aiken, and Studdard) to go.

I very unfortunately neglected to link to Johnny's amazing post last week about his Mom's cousin, gay lines in family trees, and being there for people. I implore you to read this, one of the best pieces of writing the blogworld has seen in 2003.

Five best debut albums of all time, off the top of my head, in order:
+Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction
+Jay-Z, Reasonable Doubt
+The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground and Nico
+The Smiths, The Smiths
+The Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols/N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton (dueling atom bombs, tied)

I love the smell of Downy.

Al Green's new album, I Can't Stop, isn't a triumph. But its title track is, a slab of '74 Willie Mitchell production that sounds so retro it could only have been made today.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?