Saturday, January 17, 2004

submeat's top 100 tracks of 2003: songs to download and love

#57 "Faint," Linkin Park (Warner Bros.)

In my year-end countdown last year, I suggested that alienated teens might well be listening to KoRn, and I stand by that. But even moreso, I think Linkin Park is connecting with a lot of those disaffected kids. They don't just bitch like the majority of their brethren, and they're actually making music with thought to it - I love the string sample opening (and underpinning) this single, the second from their boffo soph album Meteora. They also have the rap/sung thing down, and use it effectively, and their use of hip-hop influences feels totally sincere, not like they're reaching. Not to mention that, (presumably) unwittingly, the line "Don't turn your back on me/I won't be ignored" is so Fatal Attraction. This bunch may surprise us yet, and I hope they do.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?