Thursday, January 29, 2004

submeat's top 100 tracks of 2003: songs to download and love

#39 "The Ladies Who Lunch (from Camp)," Alana Allen and Anna Kendrick (Decca/UMG Soundtracks)

I saw better films in 2003, but none which I truly, purely loved more than Camp; I saw it four times in 11 days, and was pretty obsessed with it for a while. Its soundtrack brings me nearly the same level of joy: ergo, no single album features more tracks in my year-end top 40 (three, for those counting). A Stephen Sondheim song written for his 1970 musical Company, "Ladies" has rightfully become a classic, most notably brought to the (non-Broadway) masses via Streisand's Broadway Album. This clever, astute reading by two teenagers, however, might even make you forget La Streisand's version. To an understated, trumpet-seasoned accompaniment, Allen and Kendrick just nail it, imbuing Sondheim's words with just the right mix of humor and pathos. And if you've seen the film (out on DVD next month), it's even more enjoyable - especially Kendrick's scream at the end of the second verse. I'm no show tune queen (and, in fact, am generally allergic to them, which makes my love of Camp all the more profound), but I'd kill to see these two on Broadway in, say, five years, and see what they could do then. Like whoa.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?