Sunday, January 11, 2004

submeat's top 100 tracks of 2003: songs to download and love

#81 "X Gon' Give It 2 Ya," DMX (Def Jam)
If Aphex Twin had made this record, it'd be praised to the heavens as not only one of 2003's better records, but one of its most avant garde. The synthed-up sub-bass and nearly Sousa-esque intro, not to mention that horn line, would translate so well to an electronic record I pray someone covers it (preferably someone on Warp, but I'll take what I can get). Topping the track with DMX makes it even more viscerally, and musically, exciting. I wish he often had more to say (X seems to alternate between soppy familial reminisces and thuggish poses), because I love listening to him. Even when he barks.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?