Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Mondo crazy Pazz & Jop-o-rama!

I'm always interested to see how my picks line up with the electorate (and I did this each year long before I was a voter, trust). I end up 229th (out of 726) in the Critical Alignment Ratings, which mathematically determine just that. [And as if we needed further proof, it's now official: Paul is so much more indie than me; he's 352nd in the Ratings. Here's his ballot.]

Here's my album ballot:
# [overall P&J placing] artist title (label) points I gave each album
1 [8] Basement Jaxx, Kish Kash (Astralwerks) 17
2 [17] Postal Service, Give Up (Sub Pop) 13
3 [853] Soilwork, Figure Number Five (Nuclear Blast) 12
4 [282] DJ/rupture, Minesweeper Suite (Tigerbeat6) 11
5 [10] Dizzee Rascal, Boy in Da Corner (XL) 10
6 [37] Led Zeppelin, How the West Was Won (Atlantic) 10
7 [85] Erykah Badu, Worldwide Underground (Motown) 9
8 [552] Camp: Music From the Motion Picture (Decca) 8
9 [236] Richard X, Presents His X-Factor Vol. 1 (Astralwerks) 5
10 [1] OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (Arista) 5

So, half of my top 10 placed in the top 40, another at #85, but then you've gotta go down to #236 to find the first of my remaining four picks. I was the only person who voted for Soilwork, and one of two who voted for DJ/rupture and Camp. Richard X received 6 votes including mine.

Singles:
# [overall P&J placing] artist "title" (label) - singles aren't given points, but are ranked by number of ballots on which they appear
1 [2] Beyonce featuring Jay-Z, "Crazy in Love" (Columbia)
2 [6] Johnny Cash, "Hurt" (Universal)
3 [8] R. Kelly, "Ignition (Remix)" (Jive)
4 [12] Justin Timberlake, "Rock Your Body" (Jive)
5 [142] Electric Six, "Dance Commander" (Beggars XL)
6 [61] Freeway, "What We Do" (Roc-A-Fella)
7 [42] Dizzee Rascal, "Fix Up, Look Sharp" (XL)
8 [10] Panjabi MC featuring Jay-Z, "Beware of the Boys (Mundian To Bach Ke)" (Sequence)
9 [49] Basement Jaxx featuring Dizzee Rascal, "Lucky Star" (Astralwerks)
10 [5] 50 Cent, "In Da Club" (G-Unit/Shady/Aftermath/Interscope)

All of the singles on my ballot received multiple votes, least among them "Dance Commander," which only received four mentions. ["Danger! High Voltage!" placed 11th.]

Here are the main threads regarding P&J on ILM - a/k/a music geek central (and I proudly include myself among those legions). Christgau was on NPR this a.m. talking about the poll - here's the link to listen, and here's his essay accompanying P&J. I disagree with much of what the Dean says this year, but oh! what gorgeous writing.

No matter what, I still "heart" Pazz & Jop.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?