Monday, February 09, 2004

So, the Grammys.

In short, one of the best Grammy shows I can remember. Most of the performances were actually exciting - foremost among them Prince and Beyoncé, Justin and Arturo Sandoval, Foo Fighters and Chick Corea. [It was mostly about the collabos, y'all.] Even Christina let her music - her voice, really, with no melismas! - do the talking. The White Stripes reminded me that I've been sleeping on them, coming off like a stripped-down, bluesman version of Sonic Youth or something, just white-hot. And the USC Marching Trojans joining Andre 3000 for "Hey Ya!" was just sick. Beyoncé was queen of the night, which made sense, since she was so clearly the queen of 2003. The wins for Luther were largely expected, I thought. Evanescence winning Best New Artist was not, but remember, folks: groups who win that award don't tend to have long shelf lives. [cf. Men at Work, Hootie and the Blowfish, and lest-we-forget Starland Vocal Band. Bring on the curse!] My favorite moment, I think, was seeing Yoko onstage, talking about John and the Beatles (and shedding a tear - she, not fucking McCartney, is the true protector of the Fab Four's legacy). I love Yoko - and her music. So bite me.

Oh, and here are Kurt Loder's thoughts.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?