Thursday, April 15, 2004

Speed round:

If you've seen Best In Show, substitute fabrics and quilting for dogs and you know what my day was like. And tomorrow. And Saturday, all of which I'm spending here, working for Brian's business (his parents', really), Quilters Treasure. Thus, light posting will be the norm until Sunday.

I read William J. Mann's Where the Boys Are last July, and loved it. I've finally gotten around to reading the novel which came prior, The Men From the Boys, which seems to actually be even better. Mann has an interesting duality going on, in which he writes serious nonfiction alongside fiction which, while sterling and serious itself, seems to have been unfortunately characterized as semi-trashy by certain members of the gay press. Don't let the shirtless-buff-boy-bedecked covers fool you; Mann is in it for keeps, and writes gorgeously, things I find myself thinking but can never seem to get to paper in just the manner he does. He's so fucking good. And I'm insanely jealous of the fact that Devon's met him more than once. Bitch.

A diva, sure, but headling above the likes of Patti LaBelle and Gladys Knight? Careful you don't get too big for your $300 panties, there, Jess.

I don't mean to make light of it, but am I the only one who finds something a bit fucked up about this story?

Single of the week: "Wanna Get to Know You" by G-Unit featuring Joe. In a twist, this hiphop single with an R&B hook comes off sounding like an R&B single with multiple hiphop hooks. Joe steals the show, and the song, on this Marvin Gaye-sampling smoove record which is that rare rap record that I could imagine getting busy to. Even 50 doesn't sound as scary-hard as usual.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?