Friday, April 16, 2004

Today, day two of the Fabric & Quilt Expo, was also day two of hearing none of my own music all day. So I decided to do an experiment, akin to Waking Ear, and keep track of all the songs which popped in my head throughout the day.

1. Van Halen, "Why Can't This Be Love?": Stuck there for a good two hours, probably because I saw a sign at the Worcester Centrum Centre (where the Expo's being held) for VH's upcoming shows there. Not great, not bad, fairly indicative of Hagar-era VH.

2. Ray Charles, "Hit the Road, Jack": Genius. It's easy to take Ray for granted, but he won't be around forever, so let's appreciate him while he's still alive.

3. Missy Elliott, "Work It": "Picture Lil' Kim dating a Pastor."

4. Prince, "The Cross": One of his great unsung classics. Ever wonder what the last 25 years of music would've sounded like without him? I'd rather not, myself.

5. Ratt, "Lay It Down" and "You're In Love": You can never go wrong with a little Ratt.

6. Lindsey Buckingham, "Go Insane": This one seems to pop up at odd, random moments. Maybe because I told my Mom that "these [fabric/craft-obsessed] people are insane"? A superb single from a man who's better - and more talented - than most people, sadly, realize. Stevie's the presence in Fleetwood Mac, but Lindsey's the one who makes it work.

7. Sandra Bernhard, "Time of the Season": From her first one-woman show, Without You I'm Nothing. "9:35? You were in the tunnel, I'm sure you were. Whose tunnel were you in?"

8. Hall & Oates, "So Close": Ignore the fact that Jon Bon Jovi cowrote and produced it and just accept (and enjoy) it as a fine late-period Daryl & John guitar-driven nugget.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?