Saturday, May 08, 2004

I made a truly saddening discovery this morning. Not only does my once-beloved WMRI-FM, formerly the source for "relaxing and easy favorites" in northern Indiana, pretty much suck as just another "lite rock" (it's "light"!!!) station these days, but I came across this from Radio & Records:

Monday, January 13, 2003

State-by-State Transactions
Indiana

WGOM-AM & WMRI-FM/Marion (Muncie)
PRICE: $1.63 million
TERMS: Asset sale for cash
BUYER: Mid-America Radio Group, headed by President David Keister. Phone: 765-349-1485. It owns 15 other stations, including WBAT-AM & WCJC-FM/Muncie-Marion, IN.
SELLER: Bomar Broadcasting Corp., headed by President Mike Day. Phone: 765-664-7396
FREQUENCY: 860 kHz; 106.9 MHz
POWER: 1kw day/500 watts night; 50kw at 499 feet
FORMAT: Talk/Sports; AC


It's not even owned by Bomar anymore! Oh, I'm so, so, sad. I know that unless you'd ever listened to WMRI - or heard me go on and on about it, enraptured (natch), this likely means nothing to you. But it's another piece of my youth and 20s gone, forever. No more Bomar! I weep.

Fortunately, I'm able to at least partially assauge my sorrow with the fourth volume in my WMRI tribute series, hot out of the CD burner.

WMRI 106.9 FM: Where We Played Your Relaxing Favorites - Volume 4
1. "Morning Dance," Spyro Gyra
2. "I've Never Been To Me," Charlene
3. "Angela (Theme from Taxi)," Bob James
4. "Rise," Herb Alpert
5. "Giving You the Best That I Got," Anita Baker
6. "Exodus," Ferrante & Teicher
7. "Cool Night," Paul Davis
8. "Constant Craving," k.d. lang
9. "So May It Secretly Begin," Pat Metheny Group
10. "Living Inside Myself," Gino Vannelli
11. "Feels So Good," Chuck Mangione
12. "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White," Perez Prado and His Orchestra
13. "Deacon Blues," Steely Dan
14. "The Theme from Hill Street Blues," Mike Post
15. "Love Is Blue," Paul Mauriat
16. "Just Once," Quincy Jones featuring James Ingram
17. "Songbird," Kenny G

I am so much more uncool than you'll ever know. Well, except for Johnny, who knows all too well. And Stumpy.

I'm gonna post mp3s of many of these over the next week or two. For starters, here's Spyro Gyra's "Morning Dance," one of the bedrocks of the smooth jazz format, which came out well before anyone had even dreamed the term. And from 1982, Charlene's top 10 hit "I've Never Been To Me," a landmark in bad taste and one of the whitest records ever released - and it was released, I kid you not, on Motown.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?