Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I know, I know, I'm the last one to the party, but how did it take me until September 2004 to get nailed by the gamma rays that light from the brilliant banger "Tipsy" by J-Kwon? And the thing is - there's always a thing - it's not just about its beat, which is admittedly stripped-down genius, like Timbo and Lil' Jon's love child (completed by a handclap which "Mutt" Lange might wanna look for, 'cause it's clearly been stolen from his f/x library). No, it's just as much about J-Kwon's rapping, both his delivery of and the lyrics themselves. The whole "one, here comes the two," et cetera, riff, on which the boychild does myriad variations, works too perfectly. "Tipsy"'s "teen drinking is very bad"/"yo, I got a fake I.D., tho'!" opening is one of the funniest lines I've heard all year. And, frankly, I'm a sucker for "e'rybody," period. Club smashes which translate just as well at home are all too rare these days, so kudos must be given. A

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?