Friday, October 29, 2004

So, I’m going to try something different: I’ve made a list of 100 songs and I’m, gasp, not going to rank them. It’s my top 100 songs of all time – yes, I’ve inevitably missed one or two, I always do – and I’m gonna present them alphabetically, by title (to mix things up even further). Parentheses and numerals come ahead of letters, in case you’re wondering.


The top 100: "(I Know) I’m Losing You," Rod Stewart with Faces (Mercury 1971)
Remember when Rod was raw, when we loved him not for his croon (though I’ll never love that) but for his burlap-bluesy whiskey-drenched voice? His lungs get a workout on this number, which is nothing but mean honesty on wax. Following in the fine tradition of the Beatles and Stones, et.al., but doing them one better, Rod takes on a Temptations chestnut – but he rips everything but the copyright from the Motowners; he owns "I’m Losing You" now. He earned it.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?