Thursday, May 18, 2006

Quick'n'dirty:

Glad to know I'm not the only one sad to learn that the line in Panic! at the Disco's "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" is "poise and rationality" instead of "poisoned rationality." Still think it's a great single, though - they're kinda-sorta Fall Out Boy meets the Killers, dark alley blah blah Vegas connection obv. blah blah, y'know? Still wanna find out if liking the single will lend itself to liking the album. Anyone? (Since Metacritic hasn't scored it, grrr...)

What is with all the mad love for Rihanna's "S.O.S."?? It's a great loop from "Tainted Love" - with which nothing is done. The loops just sits there looping, adding nothing to the song other than making me want to hear Soft Cell. And as a singer, Rihanna's barely-there, almost makes Ashanti look like she's got personality, which takes some doing. I find it fascinating as well that the song's such a phenom with teens and younger; do they even know "Tainted Love"?

Taylor Hicks, American Idol? The mind (mine, at least) boggles. Don't misunderstand, I'm thrilled; since Mandisa's abrupt departure, he's definitely been my favorite, and I'll buy his album on its first day of release (I'm thinking a male Bonnie Raitt-type groove would be good for him), and I've even been voting for him. But I'm nonetheless floored that it's likely to actually happen. (Can't stand Kat, don't go there.)

Reading Mojo's Morrissey/Manchester special this week, I was prompted to pull out New Order's Singles again. Good God, there's still not much better than premium New Order. Now, when oh when do we get some remastered Smiths catalog?...

Comments:
I'm completely with you on the Rihanna (though keeping my ears open--I'm still hoping it'll grab me at some point). It's the most exciting thing in the world--for about seven seconds. (It makes me even sadder that her best single to date--"If It's Lovin' That You Want"--was so criminally overlooked.)
 
I actually came here to defend/praise "If It's Lovin' That You Want" myself, but I agree about "S.O.S." I know far too many people who like it far too much, since all they really like is the loop...
 
the Tainted love sample and young ones -- every generation (and more than a few time per) has had their music raped and sampled. don't hate on the kids for not knowing. they'll grow up soon enough.
 
You'd probably like the Panic! record. The vocals never really change, but the lyrics are interesting and they have another single brilliantly titled "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage" which at the very least teaches tweenagers the meaning and spelling of martyrdom.

Taylor will win 'Idol' by at least 5 percent and Kat will sell millions of records. The other guy with bad teeth will become the Sam Harris of this generation.

Yes, I just made an Idol comment and Star Search reference.
 
Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?