Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jackin' all over my face

I've finally had a chance to compare my Jackin' Pop ballot to the overall results. My lists are in ranked order, 1-10 (1-5 for reissues). I gave my albums descending points: 15-14-13-12-11-9-8-7-6-5.

Top 10 Albums of 2006
OVERALL PLACING (# OF VOTES) ARTIST - ALBUM (LABEL)
6 (70) Bob Dylan - Modern Times (Columbia)
68 (13) Johnny Cash - American V: A Hundred Highways (American/Lost Highway)
162 (5) Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing (Artists First/Shangri-La)
12 (57) Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped (Geffen)
4 (102) Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (Re-Up/Star Trak)
256 (3) Alan Jackson - Like Red on a Rose (Arista Nashville)
44 (22) Thom Yorke - The Eraser (XL)
234 (4) Pet Shop Boys - Fundamental (Rhino)
1,226 (1) V/A - She Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool: A Tribute to Barbara Mandrell (BNA)
2 (118) Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (Def Jam)

I bumped TV on the Radio from my ballot, and regret it. (It would've replaced the Mandrell tribute, in all likelihood.) Over the past week, I've been relistening to some of my choices and have found: 1. The Dylan deserves every bit of praise thrown at it; it's my favorite (yes!) of his trio of past-decade releases. 2. Lord, that Jerry Lee record is a blast. 3. Gimme another month, and Clipse might crack my top three. 4. Ditto the Alan Jackson. (Precious Memories was just outside my top 10.) 5. The SY and Yorke are very fine records, but not the most fun listens.

Also, had I heard it in time, Girl Talk's Night Ripper would've been a lock for my top 5, if not top 3, and Nas's Hip Hop Is Dead might have made my ballot. (As is, the latter is my current #1 album of 2007 - that didn't take long, did it?)

Top 10 Singles/Tracks of 2006
OVERALL PLACING (# OF VOTES) ARTIST - TRACK (LABEL)
84 (6) Birdman & Lil' Wayne - Stuntin' Like My Daddy (Cash Money)
56 (9) Ciara - Promise (BMG)
240 (2) Madonna - Get Together (Warner Bros.)
6 (45) Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland - Promiscuous (Mosley Music/Geffen)
240 (2) LL Cool J featuring Jennifer Lopez - Control Myself (Def Jam)
451 (1) Missy Elliott - Teary Eyed (Maurice Club Mix) (Goldmind/Atlantic)
84 (6) Jay-Z - Show Me What You Got (Def Jam)
451 (1) Hank Williams, Jr. featuring Big & Rich, Van Zant, and Gretchen Wilson - That's How They Do It In Dixie (Curb)
451 (1) Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation (Hi-Tak Burnin' Up Club Radio Edit) (Gusto UK)
32 (16) Beyoncé - Ring the Alarm (Columbia)

I'm not surprised that I was the only voter for a pair of import-only remixes, but am a little surprised that no one else cast a vote for the deliciously delirious "Dixie." (Not even Chuck Eddy!) I voted for the latter as my #2 single in Nashville Scene's poll, behind Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down."

And how the fuck does TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me" beat out "Promiscuous"?!

Top 5 Reissues of 2006
OVERALL PLACING (# OF VOTES) ARTIST - REISSUE (LABEL)
31 (9) V/A - Journey Into Paradise... The Larry Levan Story (Rhino)
94 (3) Chic - The Definitive Groove Collection (Atlantic/Rhino)
116 (2) Missy Elliott - Respect M.E. (Warner UK)
190 (1!) Stephanie Mills - Gold (Hip-O)
8 (21) R.E.M. - And I Feel Fine...: The Best of the I.R.S. Years 1982-1987 (I.R.S./Capitol)

The Levan comp waxes A Tom Moulton Mix, seriously. After repeated listens, a part of me wonders if Moulton might've been a tiny bit overrated as a remixer. Then I read the myriad testimonials to Moulton's prowess and wonder yet again if there's something I'm just not getting.

Top 5 Artists of 2006
1. Timbaland
2. Alan Jackson
3. Madonna
4. Beyoncé

I didn't bother to look up where my artists of the year placed, but I know that Timbaland was #2 overall. I only voted for four.

Pazz & Jop is next month, and I believe the Country Music Critics Poll gets announced circa January's end. So we ain't done yet.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?