Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Police - "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" (Every Breath You Take: The Singles, A&M 1986)



Alfred and I were just discussing this via email:

*

Soto: Also: do you like the '86 remake of "Don't Stand So Close to Me"? I'm not sure why it's so hated. The first minute – all brooding minor chord synth and silence – is quite wonderful.

Inskeep: For years and years, I've claimed to be the only person I know who actually PREFERS the '86 take on "Don't Stand So Close to Me" to its original, which I find I bit dull. The "remake" is weird, all minor keys and off-center vocals.

Soto: The original is watery pseudo-skank. You really [feel] as if something is at stake in the remake; and I love, love, love Andy Summers' guitar lick.

Inskeep: The original's fine with me, but doesn't excite me the way the remake does.

*

Also, its video is essentially a skewed historia de la musica de Police in four-and-a-half minutes. And Sting looks pissed, which is often a good thing.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?